How to Relieve Spring Allergies with a Simple Home Remedy
One of the best and simplest home remedies for spring allergies is Nasal Lavage with Neti.
Benefits of Neti/Nasal Lavage:
-Helpful for sinusitis, sinus headaches, nasal congestion, and for clearing up any excess mucus.
-Promotes healthy nasal passages while improving breathing exercises.
-Reprograms the body’s natural mechanism against nasal infections, throat infections, tonsils, and eye infections.
For an acute infection this wash should be done two times per day. For general cleansing and rejuvenation of the nasal passages this should be done daily with a plain saline solution.
Procedure/Technique of Nasal Lavage with Neti:
1. Fill a glass with the following ingredients:
-16 oz lukewarm water (make sure it is filtered water)
-½ tsp salt
-¼ tsp turmeric
2. Mix well and transfer to a neti pot.
3. Bend forward at the waist and over the sink, start breathing through your mouth, and rotate your neck to one side.
4. Bring the spout of the neti pot up to one nostril and gently pour some of the water into the nostril.
5. Repeat on the other side after rotating your neck to opposite direction and continue alternating sides until pot is empty.
6. Now do some breathing exercises making sure to exhale forcefully and quickly through your nostrils, with your mouth closed, using your abdominal muscles. Perform three sets of eight exhales.
Precautions: *The decoction water should be pure, clean and only of the body temperature *Mouth breathing during the whole process is key to success * The water solution should be as salty as tears. If it is too salty it will sting, and if it is not salty enough it will create an uncomfortable pressure inside your nose. *Please consult with an Ayurvedic practitioner for more guidelines and instructions.