Flavorful yet sharply pungent, Ajwain seeds are one of the traditional spices commonly featuring in Indian and Middle-Eastern cuisine. This plant is closely related to Cumin, Dill and Caraway. The seeds are also known as Bishop’s Weed, Ajowan, Caraway and Thymol Seeds. Ajwain is highly regarded for their medicinal value.
Here are some of the health benefits of Ajwain / Celery seeds –
1. Chew it & drink warm water. This is very good for indigestion, worms, diarrhea, stomach ache, constipation & gastric trouble.
2. Inhale the steam of Ajwain boiled water. This is particularly useful in respiratory diseases like chest congestion.
3. Apply Ajwain oil in rheumatic pains. This helps take down pain and swelling of the joints.
4. Apply warm paste of Ajawin on abdomen of infants to relieve gastric troubles & worms.
5. Take 1/2 teaspoon of Ajwain seeds and 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin seeds. Mix it with a pinch of salt. Chew on it while sipping warm water. This takes care of bloating, gurgling sounds of stomach, indigestion and stomach ache almost instantaneously.